ERC provides trainings to ambassadors of all ages, so that they could serve the elderly by participating in voluntary service in their leisure time. To promote the concept of Age-friendly Home to help the elderly age in place, ambassadors equipped with knowledge of age-friendly living environment, healthy ageing and lifestyle to have safe and convenient living.
Through continuing training sessions and activities, the ambassadors enrich their knowledge, serve the community and expand social network.
Scope of Services
- Administer health screening so as to make elderly visitors more aware of their health
- Provide guided and experimental tours to elders, care-givers and students, and introduce the services and facilities of ERC to them
- Assist in educational campaigns in the community
- HKSAR citizens aged 18 and above (retired persons and housewives are welcome)
- Speak fluent Cantonese and be able to read Chinese (Able to speak English or other Chinese dialects will be an advantage)
- Good presentation skills
- Pleasant and sociable
- Strong desire to learn new knowledge and techniques
- Punctual and responsible
- Complete 12-hour in-training and 3 practicum sessions
- Prepare to receive further training
- Provide at least 4 hours of voluntary service per month
- Understand the background of the Hong Kong Housing Society and the Centre, including the Centre's mission and the meaning of volunteering
- Understand service targets
- Attitudes and techniques to communicate with service targets
- Familiar with the services and facilities of the Centre
- Familiar with the use of assessment tools of the Centre
- Understand individual strengths and weaknesses, as well as presentation skills
- Practicum sessions
Commendation and Allowances
- A certificate will be awarded after completion of the training programme
- Awards will be given to active and outstanding Ambassadors annually
- Ambassador allowances will be given
After being the Ambassador, I felt that I joined the big family of ERC and I changed a lot. The greatest gain is becoming more active and out-going. I have chances to learn how to communicate with different people, including other ambassadors and visitors, and know more about their needs.
I realize I have many positive changes after being the Ambassador of ERC. The volunteer work makes me more energetic, because I have chances to unleash my potential. I can share my knowledge and experience with the visitors, including students and elders, and help them to understand more about the concept of age-friendly home. I think volunteering is not just about helping others, but also upgrading one’s self, which gives me the sense of achievement.
It is my honor to become the Ambassador of ERC. Apart from assisting the elderly in the health screenings, I also learnt lots of useful knowledge about health. I am able to well prepare myself when I get older, for example, doing more exercise and having healthy diet. This is really helpful!